ThinkExist Dynamic daily quotation

My Blog

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Taste of Fire by Hannah Howell

Orig. written: Tuesday, July 04, 2006

I have heard of Hannah Howell in one of the blogs I've been too. And in the said blog, the bloggers was praising Hannah Howell for her writing talent too especially when it comes to historical novels. She got a Highlander series that was popular, I assume but I thought I'd read her earlier works first, thus I picked (or rather, searched and downloaded an e-book of) Taste of Fire since this book was her first published novel under a different pseudonym.

Well, it was an okay read for me. It was a Western romance love story of Antonie (the heroine) and Royal (the hero). **What cheesy names for a hero and heroine! *grin***

At first, there were some tiny details that somehow made me doubtful about the story of the book but the story itself redeemed those tiny, disturbing (for me) details.

The prologue itself has already made me frown. Coz Antonie was just nine years old and she heard gunshots while she was picking up flowers in the fields. When she ran towards her home, she saw her parents sprawled on the ground and dead, courtesy of the bandidos way back then. I was expecting her to get hysterical but no, she didn't. She just went inside to get a shovel and when asked by some of the people what she'll do, she replied she'll dig a grave for her parents. I mean, come on! Can a nine-year-old girl do that in reality?

Then Antonie was raised by a bandido (to know the why, go read the book) and she met Royal when she was only 13 years old. At that age, she was the one who asked Royal to kiss her. ANDDDDD her foster father has even encouraged Royal to do it!

Ok, ok she was trying to paint Antonie as unconventional - not like any ladies, but don't you think that's too much?

Hhhhmmmm....so far those are the only tiny-details-that-seemed-impossible for me.

It was a good read. I recommend you give Hannah Howell a try. It was her only western novel I think and the rest are mostly historicals set in the Highlands. :D
Posted by Sharon at 7/04/2006 05:36:00 PM 4 comments

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home