ThinkExist Dynamic daily quotation

My Blog

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Pure Temptation by Connie Mason

OW: Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The first time I have read this book a few years ago, I was so thrilled with the story and all. It seemed so romantic and gripping and great and thrilling and touching etc.

I have been hunting for this book for years then to add to my keeper books but unfortunately I cannot find it anywhere. So I was so overjoyed when I was able to download it a while ago. Since I have been in a historical mood lately, I decided to read it again.

And my eyes were opened so wide with this reread. The story is still great but I felt some of the dialogues were too cheesy. I felt goosebumps while reading some of those lines.

Some time ago, i have read an article somewhere in the web and the writer of the article (she might be an editor or a writer too, I forgot now) commented on how some author's work were poorly researched. She mentioned about laughing out loud when she read in the work of a famous author, that there were women at White's, when it was an exclusive gentlemen's club. I was then dying to know who that particular author she was referring too.

And now I know who that is! Yup, it's Connie Mason indeed. I was so shocked when Jack (the hero) came to White's Club (acck! so awkward and cheesy, right?) after getting the dukedom and he was greeted by Lord and Lady Somebody. At first, I really did not mind it a bit. Then Jack was finding the White's Club (again) boring so he decided to leave and that was when he met his lover. ..Lady Victoria, and yes, he's still at White's. LOOL! OMGoodness, this is the author that that lady in an article I read was talking about. LOOL!

Before that episode at White's Club (LOL! sorry can't resist), Moira (the heroine) was introduced to the visiting Prince of Russia in the story and how did she address the prince? She called her 'Prince'. I kid you not! Her line was something like 'You flatter me Prince!" And I did a double take with that line. That was the first error I saw and I just disregard it as typo error. LOOL!

At the first part of the book, Jack was merely an earl or a baron, can't remember now but later on in the story he inherited the dukedom by accident. After he was informed that he's the new duke, his butler addressed him as 'milord' and I was like ""hhhmmmmm".

And then towards the end of the story, they visited the powerful Earl of Pembroke and do you know how Moira addressed him? She called him 'your grace'! Goodness Gracious!!!! Jack the Duke was merely addressed as 'milord' but Pembroke the earl was elevated to dukedom by Moira. LOOOOL!!!

Sigh. I still can't believe it until now. I wasn't able to recognize them the first time i read this book. But it was because I did not fully understand the complexities of the royalties. I've only understood it fully when I read some books with actual lesson on how to address the nobility from the knight to the king. (Once & Always by Judith McNaught is one of those informative books ;D )

However, dear readers, don't give up on Connie Mason. She has great books and they're great stories but most of her books are Western and she got some hot heroes too. I am thinking she's just not into historical and she hasn't researched this book well. Or she hasn't read that much historicals, coz if she did, she doesn't even need to research about the forms of address. Or if she did researhed and read some books, then her sources were also erroneous.
Posted by Sharon at 6/20/2006 10:21:00 AM 3 comments

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home