ThinkExist Dynamic daily quotation

My Blog

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Reading Woes

OW: Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I have some pet peeves when it comes to reading. Inconsistency of the sentence structure; Improper dialogue like the setting is in 1800s but the characters are using the English slang that came about only in the 19th century - just to name a few.

While I was reading LOS, I came up with another reading woes: Dialogue in another language but with no English translation. It really, really irritates me when it happened because the author is inconsiderate of those who do not know that particular language. Does she just expects all her readers to know that language? That is plain irresponsible and inconsiderate on the author's part, in my opinion. I've also come across this when I was reading Roberta Gillis Masques of Gold and I haven't finished it in my irritation. There was also some Italian lines, words and dialogues in Lord of Scoundrels that were not translated into English and it made me frown so.

Another woe is vague opening scene/chapter. You know, the kind where, in the first chapter where the characters were talking about something or somebody that was not introduced to the reader yet. Sometimes, this can get on my nerves too coz it feels like listening to people talk about someone or something I do not know personally.

That's enough woes for now. :D

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home