ThinkExist Dynamic daily quotation

My Blog

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Lord of Scoundrels, Loretta Chase

Orig. written: Saturday, May 27, 2006

I have finally finished this book yesterday. However, I was so disappointed with this book. I had high expectations of this novel because I have read in the All About Romance site that this was the number one readers choice in the year 2004.

For one, I think Kimmie wouldn't like this. *g* The hero was not handsome. He had a big nose! Ugh! He was called a lot of things Belzeebub is one of them. He was as swift as Clayton when it comes to jumping to conclusions but he was more irritating than Clayton since he was so very insecure. Yeah, he was a tortured hero too but I don't find him that "great". One thing to commend Clayton WEstmoreland was his confidence but this man was not.

The story was just ordinary. It's not as gripping as I had expected it to be. The proof is that it took me more than one week to finish it. In fact, all of JM books are still way above this book. Ok, I may be biased when it comes to JM so disregard that last sentence. A lot of Lisa Kleypas's books are more gripping and exciting and romantic than this one. Prince Charming by Gaelen Foley, which I just read recently was more interesting and thrilling.

Besides, her sentence structure sometimes has made me read the sentence several times first before i could truly grasp what she means. Didn't I say before that I dislike Old English format? But it's not consisitent Old English format, only a few sentences were rearranged. So it's even inconsistent - one of my pet peeves when it comes to reading. Or maybe, I am just slow in grasping the meaning of Old English format, so you can also blame me for being stupid. :D

The heroine was too uhmm...perfect to the point of irritation. Yeah, she's too perfect alright - she accepts the eccentricity, for lack of better or maybe correct term, of her grandmother and gave her a very uhm, unlady-like gift. Her brother is dim-witted and she's his defender. She knows how to deal with servants, with the 'tarts', with everything. Heck, she shot the hero pointblack and intentionally and her next actions following that incident made her seem like a foolish woman. She's Superwoman in short and I don't think it's realistic anymore.

I do not and will not ever encourage you NOT to read a book I don't like. In fact, I would like it if you will read the book and see if you also have the same reaction as me. :D

It was an OK read, due to some good outcome in the story but hero, heroine and plot-wise, it was not unique or engaging or gripping or exciting or interesting as the previous books I have read that never made it into the top 100 reads.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home