ThinkExist Dynamic daily quotation

My Blog

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Horror Stories and their Lessons

Originally written: Tuesday, April 18, 2006

For those who do not know, I (and Sharie of course) love horror movies. It doesn't matter if I spent a lot of time covering my eyes (when it's gory) and my ears (when it has spooky sound effects).

I still am trying to think what influenced my love of this type of movie. It might be because, even though we seldom watched movies at home, the one time that we watch one, it's was a horror film.

I can remember being spooked by Exorcist, the Omen, Hellraiser. I can even remember watching a movie where the people were eating ice cream and then they turned into a monster afterwards. One child knew about it and his parents are urging him to eat (the people got addicted) but he swapped it with a shaving cream. I forgot the title now.

I can also remember watching a scene where three couples were trapped in an elevator. And they would be there for several hours so what did they to next? They started kissing and necking and the ladies removed their blouses. And then my aunt covered my eyes so I don't know what happened anymore! LOL!

I also remember one movie scene wherein, when a lady was about to enter the church, a piece of an angel's wing carved on top of the church fell down in front of her. But still, they went inside the church. Afterwards, there was an earthquake I think or maybe the church crumbled.

These are just scenes that I can remember but I cannot remember the movie title, or what happened or what's the story. :D

There are several types of horror movies. The gory/slasher movies like Scream, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween; the one about aliens, werewolves, experiments gone bad like Species and The Fly; the vampires; the ghosts and the supernaturals. Of all of these types, I like the one about vampires - like Bram Stoker's Dracula and those ghost stories like Exorcist, The Others, and other clean, spooky horror movies.

I like these old, scary, spooky novels because it gives the readers some lesson of hope and faith. These evil spirits were afraid of the crucifix, of the Bible, and your faith of course. It tells us that whenever we are afraid, we only have to say a prayer and that fear would disappear. It tells us that these creatures were just fallen angels and supernatural beings and have dark power but with the light of faith and with God's words all of them will be vanquished.

It's so sad that these elements were not presented in the horror movies of today. Today's horror flicks were gory and full of curses (the f and the s words) and that the vampires and whatever creature that haunts the people can only be killed by bullets and guns. Where are the movies that needs holy water and prayer and Scriptures and crucifix and faith to remove the evils spirits in this world? No wonder people resort to violence nowadays to resolve conflict or deal with their fear too - because that is what the media has been showing the people lately. Heck, in the movie "The Faculty" they even had to do "drugs" so as not to be attacked or taken over by the alien. I was so dismayed when I watched this movie. It was not a very good lesson to teach. Drugs, of all things!!!!!!

I guess if there is one great thing my love of horror movies brought me, it strengthened my faith in God, and that He will always prevail over all evil in this world.

Gosh, I had gotten so serious, though it was not my intention. I got carried away. Must be because of those horror movies I watched last week, and the spooky scenes in One Night of Scandal I've read last night and the Easter season has triggered all of these thoughts. :D
Posted by Sharon at 4/18/2006 12:01:00 PM 6 comments

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home