ThinkExist Dynamic daily quotation

My Blog

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Drawing the line between shyness and disgracing one's self

Orig. written: Saturday, July 01, 2006

Last Thursday night, we attended a friend's birthday party which was supposedly a swimming party. But when we arrived, there was karaoke going on and the birthday girl, Judith was belting to a song wholeheartedly.

They have been trying to foist the mike off to me(and Sharie too) but I have never accepted it. Call me KJ if you want but i know my limitations.

I love music but I have known since I was nine years old that music doesn't even like me. When we were in grade school, we have literary musical contest every year and it's a chance to get high points for extra-curricular activities. In third grade, aside from joining the Modern Dance of our class, our teacher picked me to be our class contestant to be the representative in the Vocal Solo contest.

So I went home and told our mother about it and I remembered practicing over the weekend. Then our mother accompanied us to school on Monday the following week and talked to our teacher. Because she said she'll tell our teacher that I have a cold and cough thus I can't sing well so bye-bye Vocal Solo contest.

I was there when she was talking to our teacher and she was trying to whisper the reason why I can't be our class contestant and I heard her say NOT of me having a cold but of me being NOT able to carry a tune. LOOOL!! She was trying hard to make her voice low but I still heard her clearly.

Now, did I think my mother was responsible for my lack of self-confidence when it comes to singing? No, I didn't. In fact, I should be thankful to her for drawing the line for me and for making me aware NOT to disgrace myself ever. That is why, the reason I would NOT ever sing in a karaoke bar is fear of disgracing myself, not shyness, not killjoy-ness (if ever there is such a word), etc.

Oh, I love to sing alright, but it's only for myself and for my family's ears. And I like to think that I sing better without a microphone coz when I sing with a mic, my voice is so high-pitched, so squeaky and so out of tune. LOOL!

Ask me to dance, I'll try to do it. But don't ever ask me to sing on a mic coz you won't ever sway me. I may negotiate with NOT using a mic though. LOOOOL!!!







PS: KJ is Killjoy for those who do not know.
Posted by Sharon at 7/01/2006 04:51:00 PM 9 comments

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home