ThinkExist Dynamic daily quotation

My Blog

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Harry Potter Obsession: Better Late than Never!

Orig. Written: July 18, 2007

I was still in college when Harry Potter became famous worldwide. I was already a bookworm and have read every book that came my way. However, when I learned that Harry Potter was a book for children I said to myself that I have already graduated past the "children books" stage and was not reading even Sweet Valley University anymore.

Year 2001, the life of Harry Potter became more popular with the movie, but still I did not pick any Harry Potter books nor found out what the furor was about him. And thinking about it, it seems surprising that I did not try to really know about the books, when normally, I always try to get a general idea of what's the world's talking about.

Instead, Sharie and I settled in watching the movie to get a general idea of the Harry Potter world. And we were entertained by the movie - but not enough to really read the books.

Then the Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban movies came out and we watched them and we enjoyed them. But still I didn't read the book.

When the Half-Blood Prince came out in 2005, Sharie borrowed the book (and yes, I haven't read the Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix yet, and have only watched the first three movies) from her colleague sometime in December 2005 coz that time, we didn't have any new books to read.

I think it was Sharie who read the book first and all throughout her reading, she was asking me questions about the characters and about what happened and she is so clueless of what's happening in book 6.

So I searched and found ebooks of the first five books in the web just to appease my curiosity and interest and I was glad when i was able to find five of them. Fantastic! So I spent nights and days in front of my laptop, ignoring JMF and my friends coz I spent most of my time getting to know Harry Potter and his friends and enemies. I think I finished them all in a week or two.

When I was reading the fifth book, I felt my heart swelling with happiness when Dudley made friends with Harry; when it was Harry and Hermione who ended up being together; I was surprised when Malfoy turned to the good side and ended up with Ginny; then I almost sobbed when Dudley died and Harry's Aunt Petunia and his Uncle Vernon did not blame him for Dudley's death. And I said, wow, that was fantastic. OOP is my most favorite HP book.

And so I eagerly opened the Half Blood Prince ---- and how my jaw dropped and my eyes bugged out, when I read the Dudley is so very much alive and has gotten more bad, how Petunia and Vernon are still treating Harry like dirt!

OMGoodness!!! I was so confused then. It turned out that the OOP I have downloaded was not a real book but a fan fiction. Served me right, right? LOOL!

So I searched for the ebook again and found the real OOP and so by the time I read HBP, I already know who are the characters there.

Early this year, we transferred to a new flat and have acquired a new flatmate/friend who's also crazy about Harry Potter. We talked about it and it fueled my interest again so I searched for those ebooks I downloaded but I couldn't find it in any of the CDs. It must have been deleted when I reformatted my laptop to its original configuration.

So I searched for the ebooks again but the ones I found, I felt that some parts are missing. What we did next was find Harry Potter books in the bookstores and supermarket. I was glad I was able to find 5 books in three different stores (still haven't got the first book yet).

And thus, my Harry Potter obsession begins. I just finished rereading them a few weeks ago and I searched the internet for some of the questions I have. I have found mugglenet.com which has a great source of HP information (and I think they're the most user-friendly among all HP sites). Just starting February alone, we have lost count of the times we watched our HP DVD's.

It was overwhelming to read everything because I have been so late. I was impressed with all the theories that abound. I don't think I would be able to catch up with everything that's in mugglenet.

In a few days, all the answers would be questioned and I can hardly wait. Today is the start of the showing of HPOOTP movie here in Kuwait and we are going to watch it with Eloi on Thursday. This is the first time we're going to watch a movie in Kuwait cinemas.

Then on Saturday ---- we're going to buy HP books. Hooray!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home