ThinkExist Dynamic daily quotation

My Blog

Sunday, March 16, 2008

I don't like action movies but I love 24!

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

My twin and I have been very vocal in our nonpreference of action movies because they bore us. LOOL! So strange isn't it? Can an action movie bore a person?

Honestly, we only watched a handful of action movies and no one has stood out to become my most favorite or unforgettable action movie so far. Yes, there were those that captured my attention but most of them didn't manage to hold my interest in the first ten minutes or so. LOL! I think I have an attention span of a toddler when it comes to TV and movies so it would take a lot for a TV show or movie to make it on my favorite spot.

However, I am pleased to report now that 24 has managed to rank high on my list of favorite TV show. In the past, I have watced a few episodes and I was hooked. It's only now that I have watched it from the beginning and I had lost a lot of sleep over it, in my (our) haste to know what happens next.

A few nights ago, our friend Eloisa and flatmate too asked me and my twin why we like 24 when we said that we don't like action shows. Good question Eloi!

Well, I answered something like 24 is unlike other action shows I've seen. And it's true.

The show was beautifully written, and full of suspense and thriller. It kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Other times, I had to stand up and go away for a while to lessen the tension I felt. LOL! And other times, i had to read from a book beside me when the scenes were too suspenseful for me. LOL! Heck, some of the scenes beat watching horror movies. LOL!

The characters are all great, the bad guys are bad, the good guys are good and the stupid guys are stupid. LOL! It has a great cast too - each one is so good and so right for their character. The characters are dimensional and principled - they stick to their principles like Jack Bauer, David Palmer, Chloe O'Brian, Tony Almeida, Michelle Dessler, Bill Buchanan, Audrey Raines, Karen Hayes etc. (We are just still on season 5). You can't help but admire them for what they do. They reminded me that there are times you have to disobey to stand up for what you believe. LOL!

24 is just gripping, action-packed without resorting to corniness like most action movies do. Besides, it's interspersed with romance all throughout the seasons that leave me wanting for more. I think the best romantic angle they ever presented was that of Tony Almeida and Michelle Dessler. I don't know but the first time Michelle entered the show on Season 2 and she and Tony were talking about work and looking at each other's eyes, their eyes spoke of a different, more interesting things. The screen sizzles and sparks fly each time they look at each other's eyes. SIGH. I still want to cry each time I remember that they killed off Tony and Michelle. They should have let them leave the US for protection when they don't know how to move their characters anymore - not kill them! I hope they'll bring them back in the movie.

Anyway, I think the main reason why it manage to grip me all this time is that it's a very stimulating show. It will make the viewer think too. It's challenging watching the show. LOL!

We're up to the last 4 hours of season 5 and these past two weeks, we've watched nothing on satellite at all. Instead, the moment we all arrive from work, one would cook dinner while the other three would do their necessary chores and the moment we set down for dinner, we watch 24 so as not to waste more time.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home